“A friend who is far away is sometimes much nearer than one who is at hand. Is not the mountain far more awe-inspiring and more clearly visible to one passing through the valley than to those who inhabit the mountain?”
Kahlil Gibran (1883-1931) was born in modern-day Lebaban. With his family, he emigrated to the United States where he began his literary career, studied art and wrote his inspirational book “The Prophet” which became so popular that he is reputed to be the third best-selling poet of all time.
1. As you consider people you have considered over the years, what common qualities/characteristics do they share?
2. How do you distinguish between a friend and an acquaintance?
3. Have you ever been betrayed by a friend?
In your Journal, reflect about the circumstances and consequences of that friend’s betrayal.
4. In your world of friends over the years, what distinguishes those you would call a ‘close’ friend and those you would call ‘best’ friend?
5. Social media connects people as ‘friends’. Is social mediat another category of friendship for you and if so, what qualities/characteristics do such friends have which distinguish them from other friends?
6. Picture your best friend in your mind.
What is it about this person that draws you to him/her?
7. In your circle of friendship over the years, have some friends changed categories – i.e. acquaintance, close friend, best friend, cyberfriend?
If so, reflect on your role in the changing friendship in your journal.
8. Reflect on a relationship with a “friend who is far away.”
Is that person “nearer than the one who is a hand”?
If so, how?
How to use “Soulistry Soul-Questions”
You may want to begin a Journal so your responses are all in one place.
From time to time, a quotation will appear along with accompanying Soul-Questions. Write the quotation. Add the first question and write your response.
Take your time in writing your replies. This is your time – these are your answers.
Then at your leisure, add the second Soul-Question and respond and continue on. Btw, it helps to put the date after each Soul-Question response.
The “Soul-Questions” group on Facebook can be found www.facebook.com/groups/soulquestions
The “Soul-Questions” website and individual quotes/soul-questions can be found www.soulistry.com/soul-questions-blog-posts